5.23.2007

The Literalist, revisited

Nathan does not mean to be sassy - it's just that he sees everything in black and white. If you tell him to "sit down and eat" while he's seated, he'll say, "I am sitting." All of you parents know that this can really frustrate you when you're already fired up. But, if we say something the wrong way, how can we get mad at them for stating the obvious? We regularly battle with the boys at nap time. Evan likes to play with Nathan and vice versa, instead of going to sleep. So, if Nathan is fidgeting around while Evan is dozing, Evan will pop up and want to play with him. I'll frequently tell Nathan, "Son, lie down, be quiet, and go to sleep!" The problem is that he's usually already horizontal. So, he misses the "be quiet". He misses the "go to sleep". He only seems to hear the part Daddy was wrong about. So he corrects me, "Daddy, I am lying down." Whose kid IS this?! Oh... right!


(Mom, stop laughing - it's not funny!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

O S IT IS!! I laughed harder when I got to the bottom and saw your remark about me.. Love ya, Mom