5.14.2007

Gentle Rebuke

1 Timothy 5:1o says, "Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father." Nathan probably has not memorized that verse, although I could be wrong. He did, however, apply it recently as we were driving down the road...

I was driving along the "parking lot" that is Johnston St. here in Lafayette on a Saturday afternoon. The boys were in the back seat. Someone in a Ford Expedition cut in front of me without any warning, and then proceeded to drive about 10 mph slower than the rest of the traffic. I threw one hand up in the air to signal my displeasure (all FIVE fingers extended, thank you), and said something to the effect of, "Don't pull in front of me if you're going to STOP!" I backed off, in case they did stop, and waited for a chance to pass on the right. Finally, I was able to move over, and there was no apparent reason for them to be driving so slow (no one in front of them for at least a quarter mile). As I drove by, I checked to make sure the driver was not having a heart attack or had fallen asleep, as I mumbled something about buying a smaller vehicle if they want to conserve fuel. Just then, from the back seat, Nathan asked, "Daddy, who are you talking to?" I informed him I was talking to the rude people that cut us off and then slowed down for no apparent reason. His next question was, "Did they hear you, Daddy?" Suddenly recognizing the simple, stinging, subtle rebuke (though he might not have realized it), I simply said, "No, probably not."

My son is just like his mommy.

No comments: