When the playset was delivered and assembled, I brought Nathan out to see it and to thank Mr. J. He was absolutely floored. I
had inquired about getting a
wheel for the set, as Nathan is very fond of them. (I had informed J.P. that Nathan actually describes the parks in Lafayette by their wheels. Instead of Girard Park or Chargois Park, etc., he calls them the "good park" or the "bad park" based on the condition of their play set's wheel. Nathan was not in our presence when we had that discussion, and J.P. said he had a wheel for the set.) So, after a moment of WOW, Nathan asked quite boldly, "Where's the
wheel?" We both laughed as J.P. assured Nathan that he would be installing a wheel. It was a rather cold day, and the boys were about ready for nap time about half and hour or so of playtime. When they woke up a couple of hours later, Nathan was ready to get back to his playset. We bundled him up and let him out while getting Evan ready to go. I heard loud yelling from the backyard, and ran to see if he'd fallen off of something. "LOOK, Daddy! THE WHEEL! THE WHEEL is on! It's got a WHEEL!"

About 30 minutes later, he quit talking about it, but he spent a good bit of time at that wheel. He just stood there, looking out over the fence across the neighboring yards while "steering" his wheel.

I concluded that we could have satisfied his desire by simply placing a wheel on a tall stake in the ground. I know he and Evan will travel to many places in their imagination behind that wheel in the years to come. I can't wait to hear the stories!
No comments:
Post a Comment