Nathan has an eating disorder. He can't sit down and eat a meal at the same time. He has to get down and play between every bite or so. We've tried many things, short of strapping our 3-year-old to the chair. This morning was wearing on my nerves. I was flying solo with the boys, trying to help Evan eat his breakfast, while Nathan had not touched the waffle he requested and even helped prepare. He was busy trying to build something on his work bench (conveniently located steps away from the kitchen table). Nathan ignored my instruction to return to his seat. I got up and physically placed him in his chair. I knelt down to eye-level and began to explain to him why he needed to stay in his chair until his meal was complete and he was given permission to get down. After I spent a couple of minutes (which probably seemed like 20 to him) laying down the "why" Nathan always wants explained these days, I asked, "Do you understand me?" Until that question, Nathan had a "deer-caught-in-the-headlights" expression. In response to my question, he squinted and asked, "What are you talking about?"
"Just eat your waffle, son."
"Yes, sir."
2.07.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment