2.25.2007

Backyard Surprise

It's been over a year since we started looking/saving for a backyard playset for the boys. We'd pretty much settled one, and had saved most of the expense (old-school lay-away... remember when people waited until they could afford stuff instead of running up credit bills?) We had decided we would make the purchase this spring. Then, a couple of months ago, I met a guy who actually builds custom playsets similar to those we'd been pricing. He has a local business building them and has done so full-time for 8 years. We were actually talking about other things after church one day, when he gave me his business card and told me to call him if I ever needed anything. Noting his business card, I said, "That's funny, we've actually been saving for a playset for our boys." He smiled knowingly and said simply, "Well, just pray about it, brother." I remember thinking somewhat sarcastically (I'm ashamed to admit), "Sure thing - I usually pray about things like swingsets..." and forgot about it. Two weeks ago the same man approached me after church and asked for a number where he could reach me during the week. He said he wanted to "run something by me". Flashes of a multi-level-marketing pitch ran through my mind as I gave him my number. A week and a half later, I got a voice mail from him, too late to return the call until the next day. The next morning (last Friday), he called again, but I didn't hear the phone ring (sometimes boys are loud). So, I was surprised to hear the doorbell ring and see this man on my front porch at around 10:00 AM.

Long story gets to the point: J.P. (the man in question) informed me that he felt impressed by God to bless us with a playset. He had already custom built the set and only needed my approval to bring it over and set it up. By that early afternoon, the boys were climbing all over their new playset, thanks to the generosity of our friend and of God through him. Thanks, Lord! And, thanks, J.P.!

No comments: