2.22.2007
Here, Birdie, Birdie, Birdie...
I woke up to Evan fussing. I picked him up, walked to the kitchen and realized (upon running water) that I needed to use the potty (get over it). Heading to the back bathroom, so as not to wake Nathan (still asleep in his bed), Evan called out toward Nathan's room as we passed. I guess he wanted Nathan to know he was up, and to come join him in the day's adventures. After our bathroom visit, we headed back to Nathan's room. Nathan was gone. "Nathan..." I called, looking in the hall bathroom (not there). "Where are you, pal?" (Not in the laundry room) "Nathan..." (nor the living room, dining room or kitchen) I felt the breeze before I saw the open door to the patio. It was probably in the mid-50's outside, wet all over from earlier rains, and I knew that boy had no shoes on, let alone warm clothing. "NATHAN!" I said firmly, as Evan and I headed to the patio. He was not on the patio. He was not on his trike. He was not playing with the fountain, or on his new playset (that blog's coming soon). It was then I realized the GATE was open! "NATHAN PECK!!" No reply. I rushed to the front window. He was not in the driveway. Then, I saw the little monkey from behind a front porch pillar. There he stood, shivering in his shorts and t-shirt, socks soaking wet and dirty, looking up into the tree with a serious, yet eager expression on his face. I opened the door, "WHAT are you doing, son?!" Somewhat startled back to reality, he smiled at me with his still-sleepy face and bed-hair, laughing, "Daddy! I'm chasing those birds!" I'm just thankful all the "bird trees" are on our side of the street. Oh, and we don't leave the keys in the deadbolts anymore!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment