There comes a time in the life of most young men when they discover the attraction of a pretty girl. It usually happens around middle school, as puberty is beginning to arrive. For Nathan, it was today. He's three. Ok, so he's three and a half. The two of us had just returned home from mowing my grandmother's yard, when a couple of neighbor girls rolled up next door on their rollerblades. These girls are middle school age, and are very friendly toward our boys. We unloaded the blazer and Nathan headed for the neighbor's house. "Where are you going?" I asked. Nathan replied, "I'm going next door with Isabella!" Noticing his stance, I suggested he come inside and use the potty. He followed me in, and took care of business. I was preparing to go out back and light up the grill as he returned to the kitchen. He handed Laura his half-eaten sno-cone and asked her to place it in the freezer for him. He then started out the door as if on a mission. "Where do you think you're going?" Laura asked. He continued out the door and replied, "I'm going to go visit with those girls next door!" as he closed it right behind himself. Laura and I looked at each other in stunned silence. "He's three, right?" she asked rhetorically. "Yeah, but he knows what he likes!"
I'm sure if it had been Ryan, the boy two doors down, and one of his friends, Nathan would have been just as enthusiastic about "visiting" with them. But, I must admit, I had a sense of pride for a moment. And, since his daddy and his uncle both married older women, I guess it runs in the family. Look out, girls, here he comes!
6.21.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment