2.07.2006

Smoking Pot(s)

I was working in the kitchen Saturday, on gumbo and fixin's for Sunday's Super Bowl party. Nathan was helping. "You wanna see that gumbo?" he asked. I held him and let him stir the pot with me. "See that chicken in there?" he asked. "Yes I do." "That's some sausage in there!" he said. "Yes it is." "What's that?" he asked, pointing toward the mixing bowl. "Garlic." "What's that?" "Onions and bell peppers." "What's that in there?" as he pointed to a skillet. "That's the roux." He gave me a concerned look, and asked, "that's a roo?!" It suddenly hit me that one of his favorite characters in Winnie the Pooh's latest DVD is little "Roo" (of the Kanga- variety). "Don't worry, my son, no animals were killed or injured in the making of this roux!" (pause) "That's a roux!" he said. A little later he walked into the kitchen and said, "look at all those big buckets!" (there were a couple of large stainless pots on the counter.) "Those are pots for cooking," I replied. (pause) "Look at those big pot buckets!" he said. (compromise) Just don't mention the "pot buckets" in front of the DEA, buddy! ("Sir, we're gonna have to take a look at that "parsley" you're putting in your gumbo!)

No comments: