2.28.2006

More Nathanisms

Nathan likes to play with words and sounds. He likes to make silly transformations of words by changing the vowels or even part of the words themselves. I think most of us have done this sort of thing from time to time (I say "po-tay-to", you might say "po-tah-to"). I say "noo-klee-ur", our president says "noo-kyoo-lur" (MAN, that bugs me!). Well, Nathan has some words he has totally silly-fied... and these usually are accompanied by much laughter...

He sometimes calls his stuffed moose, Colorado, "Coloradoo".

Since learning that his Uncle Brad and family live in Vicksburg, he has inserted the "ur" sound into many a word, and loves to emphasize the sound. "Vicksburrrg", "Oxfurrrd", "Shrevepurrrt", "Baton Rurrrge", just to name a few familiar places he uses it on.

Speaking of Baton Rouge, for some reason, he likes to say "Baton Dazz", though I have no idea where he got it from. He sure does get tickled when he says it!

He also pulls out phrases I didn't even think he knew, which helps me to be more conscious of what I say in his presence. Most of the time they are cute things, like "that's crazy", "that's rediculous", or "that's bizarre". Recently, some friends were over for dinner and we had some coffee and pie after our meal. During our conversation, Nathan sneaked over to my coffee mug and took a gulp. We all stopped and watched his reaction. He smiled, holding the mug in both hands, shrugged his shoulders and said, "Mmm... that's nice and toasty!"

No comments: