2.26.2006

Growing Pains

Nathan and Evan are both growing (painfully).

Nathan has been completing the eruption of his two year molars and extending his feet beyond the confines of his latest shoe purchase. I suspected this month that his feet were in need of new and larger coverings. The size six was getting a little snug. We had actually purchased some six and a half sized shoes when we bought the sixes, so I pulled them out, and found that they were more difficult to get on his little clod-hoppers than the worn-in size six shoes. So... the first thing I did upon arriving at the shoe store was plant his nubs on the shoe size plate. Then I double checked. Twice. Then I asked God and Nathan to forgive me for being a horrible dad, as I accepted the reality that my son's feet were not a half size larger than his current shoes. They were one and a half sizes larger. So, I bought some size eights for his big feet, thankful that the previous pair actually stretched. (And, please don't comment that shoes don't stretch that much, because I feel bad enough as it is!)

Evan is outgrowing his first round of clothing (0-3months), and is starting to develop a little Michelin Man action. He's also becoming a little more fussy/demanding. He hasn't been fussy much, unless he needed a diaper change, was tired, or hungry. But, he now fusses when you don't hold him the "right way". The right way, according to Evan, is perfectly upright. Don't lay him across your arm or legs. Don't cradle him face-up. He wants to be vertical, and he prefers to face forward. Evan will let you know if he is not in the "right" position. He makes a mad face and belts out a good "waaaahhh"! The exception is when he's lying on the changing table, or on his play mat. (He's really close to rolling all the way over, too.) He is very determined to hold his head up on his own and is pretty good at that. He has also been drooling profusely, and chewing on anything he can get into his milk hole (the infant version of "pie hole" - I just thought of it - It's a gift). I'm pretty confident he's beginning his teething. Nathan started teething about this age (3 months) as well.

No comments: