Nathan has a new fascination - with candles. He likes to smell them and, whether lit or not, he wants to blow them out. We're discouraging the whole "sniff it while it's lit" idea. Since he's started creating stools out of various household items, he's been able to reach onto the backs of counters and dressers to retrieve the fragrant forms of wax. He then sniffs them and states his opinion of the aroma. He grabbed one the other day and said, "This is a blue candle. (sniff-sniff) This candle smells like berries!" (It is a blueberry-scented candle.
He really wanted to help his friend, Jed, blow out his birthday candles a couple of weeks ago. (I held back the savage beast!) And, yesterday, Laura and I were preparing for a Super Bowl party at our home when Nathan grabbed a large jar candle. It's one of those with four wicks! He pulled it down, stuck his face right over the jar, and blew them all out. All this happened in my sight (thank God!) as I was (in seeming slow motion) reaching for him and saying NO! I wish fire wasn't such an attraction to little boys, but I remember a season of interest in my own life, too. Nathan likes to "help" daddy with the grill, as well. I would gladly give him some fire safety instruction and a little responsibility with it, if he was about six years older! For now, I'm just teaching him that fire is very hot and dangerous (he likes that word). We're also moving our candles to higher ground and locked quarters.
2.06.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment