3.12.2009

no whine, please

I guess all kids come pre-set to whine when they don't get their way. It's part of the parenting test: can you re-program your kids to NOT whine? Our approach has been to let them know when they are whining so that they recognize it and then make them repeat their request/complaint without the whine before acknowledging or responding to it. Recently, while driving, Nathan cranked up his "whine setting" and started to ask to go to a certain restaurant. I ignored him for a moment, but as he continued I reminded him that he was whining and I cannot hear what he is saying through all the whining. He paused for a moment, pouting. I looked back at him via the mirror while we were stopped, just as Evan gave him the following lecture: "Stop whining, Nathan! It frustrates me when you whine!" Trust me, nobody's happy when Evan is frustrated!

No comments: