3.27.2009

The Gift of Life

Driving Nathan to school, he brought up an event they were having called, the "Easter Walk". "What is the 'Easter Walk' all about, Dad?" Well, it's about the meaning of Easter. What do YOU think Easter means? "Jesus died on the cross for our sins." That's right, but there's more to the story than Jesus' death on the cross... "Because WE have sin?" Well...(my time was running out, as we approached the drop-off area)... why don't you just see how the Easter Walk turns out and we can continue this discussion tonight? "Dad, when I was born, did I have sin tied to my heart?" (WHOAH! - My five-year-old is getting what many live their whole lives and never understand!) Yes, Nathan. Unfortunately, everyone does. And that's why Jesus chose to die on the cross - to pay for OUR sins so we could truly LIVE in this life and forever with him.

STOP, door opens, and my son slips off to class as I drive away with a deep sense of pride and sobriety. As I'm reminded that "Nathan" means "gift," I consider what a wonderful gift he is and offer up a prayer, "God, may I never hold your gift so tightly that I fail to give him back to you!"

No comments: