If "the pen is mightier than the sword", I'd hate to see Evan get a sword into his hand! Ah, but how quickly we (translation: I) had forgotten Nathan's own fascination with leaving his mark (or anyone else's for that matter) on anything and everything at this age. Yes, in a momentary lack of sanity (or perhaps a simple lack of tidiness, which is a given constant with two preschool-aged boys) there was a cheap ball-point pen left down low somewhere. It could have been lying next to a shopping list, journal, or sudoku book (although I seriously doubt that last one as none of us play). It might have even been "out of reach" for Evan, according to my poor, deceived mind. Nevertheless, just as I was shushing Nathan to listen at the unusual quietness from sweet little Evan, I had that feeling. You know, that feeling you get when you know one of your kids is up to something they shouldn't be and you don't know what it is but you know it can't be a good thing because they're just too quiet and that is never a good thing (when they're awake)! I gave Nathan my full-lunged, full-cheeked sigh accompanied with my "this is just great!" frown and roll of the head as I called out, "EVAN! What are you doo-ing?!" I heard a mild commotion in the bathroom followed by little feet scampering toward us from the hall. "I right here, Daddy." "Great! But, what are you doing?" "I writin'!"
In a flash, I was in his immediate presence, relieving him of his instrument of folly (Proverbs 22:15a - "Folly is bound up in the heart of a child..."). I quickly assessed the damage - bathroom cabinet, drawers, toilet seat lid, rubber frog bath toy, training potty and step-stool. "Evan did it!" he informed me. "And Evan's gonna get it", I thought to myself. I knelt down and pulled him close as I informed him sternly that his actions were not acceptable and followed Proverbs 22:15b - "but the rod of discipline will drive it (that folly thing) far from him."
As it was bedtime, I postponed the cleanup, but I fully intend to include my little artist in that process! And, you know, our little "lefty" (he generally prefers his left hand for things like eating, painting, coloring...) sure has a nice-looking swirl!
3.14.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment