Some of my favorite childhood memories are of my Dad telling me bedtime stories. For those of you who know him, you understand that his stories were not "traditional" bedtime stories. Among the strange and twisted nursery rhymes and songs I went to bed with, I've actually chosen to pass down a few of them to my little man-cubs. One of my favorites is "Ooey-Gooey"...
Ooey-Gooey was a worm
A little worm was he
He climbed upon the railroad track
The train he did not see
OOOOOEY-GOOEY!!
So, the whole train hunting mission had me thinking about the trains and tracks and as the boys and I lay in the dark that night until they fell asleep, I recited that little "bed-time story" for them while they laughed.
Because Nathan has a mind like a trap, he asked me to "do the other one, Daddy!" "The other one?" I asked. "Yeah, do the fuzzy bear one!" So I did...
Fuzzy-Wuzzy was a bear
Fuzzy-Wuzzy had no hair
Fuzzy-Wuzzy wasn't very Fuzzy-Wuzzy!
The problem with these stories is that Nathan is a thinker...
"Why did Ooey-Gooey climb on the railroad tracks when that train was coming?"
(Because he didn't see the train.)
"What happened to him?"
(He got squished. Trains are really heavy.)
"Did it hurt when he got squished?"
(I don't think he had time to hurt.)
Where does Fuzzy-Wuzzy live?
(I don't know.)
Is he a bear?
(Yes.)
Do they have bears at the zoo?
(Yes.)
Can we go to the zoo tomorrow and see if Fuzzy-Wuzzy is there?
Laughing out loud, I say the only thing I could say at that moment: "I love you, son! Now, go to sleep."
10.15.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment