Nathan and Evan were sick last weekend. They were actually showing symptoms late last week, but I figured it was just allergies or a cold. Their pediatrician had informed us a while back that most kids get sick with virus-related colds about 9-12 times a year! Yay for daycare! Anyway, Evan's high fever Sunday (just under 103), and Nathan's swollen, pus-laden tonsils prompted me to take them to the doctor on Monday. Evan had a cold, along with his teething (2yr molars coming in), and some fluid on one ear. Nathan had tonsilitis and tested positive for "strep". The doctor told us that means he either had a mild case of strep, or he might just be a "carrier" like a lot of kids his age. Funny, you don't see any bumper stickers that say, "Proud Parent of a Streptococcus Carrier!" (I did see a funny one this week that said, "My Boston Terrier is smarter than your honor student")
Anyway... The doctor told me, "we'll have to watch Evan's ear..." (although he didn't give me one of those groovy ear scopes to take home) and Nathan got a "booty shot" (no, that's not the latest in college-aged drinking games). When we told him to get on the table and lay on his tummy, he complied rather easily. I told him the nurse was going to give him some medicine in his booty to make him feel better. I didn't tell him she was going to do it with a needle! Needless to say, he was mad at me and that nurse! As he cried on our way out to the car, he demanded an explanation... "Why did that lady give me that shot, Daddy?" (She's a nurse. That's what they do. Really, buddy, she was trying to help you feel better.) "Well, I don't want it!" (I'm sorry, Nathan, but it's all over now - you already got it.) "But DADDY, I don't want it in there anymore!" (It's not in there - you just have the medicine in there now.) "But I still don't want it." (What don't you want?) "I don't want the shot or the medicine or the bandaid!" (Oh, o.k. Would you like a cookie?) "Can I have two?" (You got it!)
10.21.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment