
Nathan has been somewhat scared of the trimmer and mower. He loves to look at them, and he has his own toy versions of them, but the sound levels they emit simply keep him hidden in the house when I'm using them. Today, September 26th, 2006, that came to an end. Nathan had been "mowing" last night while I barbequed in the back yard, and today he asked if I wanted to go outside and mow again. I told him I needed to, and he could help me with his mower. He hesitated, and then said that my mower was too loud. I informed him I would put earplugs in his ears like mine, and his eyes lit up with excitement. I instructed him to wear his hat and sunglasses (eye protection), and that he must follow me with his mower once we started. He watched me check the oil, add gas and prime the mower, then we plugged our ears.

He winced and shrugged nervously when I first started the mower, but I motioned for him to follow and I turned away to start mowing. I half anticipated him running back into the house and watching from the window as in times past. Not today! Today, he was "Lawn Boy"! He followed behind me for a little while and then I sensed my "shadow" was not immediately near. I looked back, and he had stopped to check one of the wheels. He then pulled a couple of times on his "starter cord", and then quickly caught up to me. He had such a "professional" expression that I laughed out loud (it's ok, he couldn't hear me).
I think if I remove the top section of my mower's handle bar, he can take care of things himself next week! Don't worry anybody! - I'll be sure to give him an allowance!

No comments:
Post a Comment