9.04.2006

In (and out of) Hot Water

I was at the computer. Laura was in the kitchen with Evan. Nathan was in his room (I thought). Laura asked, "David, can you get the boys' bath water ready?" I replied, "Sure, just let me finish up here first." I heard her running water in the kitchen sink while I wrapped up my activities on the computer. It took five to 10 minutes, and as I got up to go start the bath, Nathan scurried past me into the kitchen. I checked on everyone in there, as Laura turned off the water at the sink. I realized at that moment that there was water running elsewhere - the bathroom. Imagining water flooding the bathroom, I ran to it. There was no flooding, but the water (the hot water!) was running wide open into an open drain - hidden by a mountain of bubbles. "NATHAN PECK!" I shouted. (The pitter-patter of little feet approached quickly) "I put some bubbles in there, Daddy!" "I see that, buddy." What was once a partially depleted 48 ounce bottle was about 10 ounces less full than the previous use. I placed the stopper in position, and checked the water. Only the hot water was on, but there was only lukewarm water coming out. Lesson for the day: It doesn't take long to empty our hot water heater via that tub!

No comments: