
My eldest, Nathan, sometimes wakes before me. When this happens, he usually feels responsible to rouse the sleeping giant that is his father. His path to this "great awakening" begins with a giddy approach to the bed, where he secures a grip on the comforter, sheet, or leg of dad, and hoists himself up onto the slab of sleep. One recent morning, the "leg of dad" was thinly covered, if at all, and the grip of said son on said leg slipped quickly (and painfully) into a fist of fatherly fur (OOOOWWWWW!!!). We were both wide awake at that moment. (It was a couple of days before he attempted to rouse me from my slumber again.)
Today, I was out! I had armed myself with earplugs, lest Evan, Nathan, the phone, or an early-rising noisy neighbor rouse me before my desired time. Enter: "the Tornado". His first attempt was the usual. I felt him before I heard him. Perhaps he was in stealth mode. Perhaps my ears were in stealth mode. He climbed up, crawled over to my face and placed his face close to mine, watching, waiting and grinning that "I'll getcha, Daddy!" grin of his. I slowly opened one eye to assess the situation without giving away the fact I was somewhat conscious. "Hee-hee-heeeee! Daaadddeee!!" (Busted!) I mumbled something close to "good morning, buddy" and drifted back to Dodo land (pronounced "dough-dough" - I got that from an old friend). I must have been really tired, as I don't remember him leaving. (Maybe he never did)
Later (whether seconds or minutes, I do not know), Nathan's cold hands grabbed my face and I quickly opened my eyes to find his grinning, giggling face hovering over mine. "Daaadeee", he said through the giggles, "time-a-get-up!" "No, no it's not, son," I moaned. "Daadeee," he sighed again, as he placed his head on my chest and hugged me tight. Then he changed all the settings on my alarm clock/radio and slammed the door on his way out. I drifted off again.
Finally, he returned to complete the task of raising the almost dead. He got on the bed without stirring me, and pressed his cold, wet nose to mine. My eyes still closed, I wondered briefly whose dog had invaded my room. Or what lotion, cream, or food product had my son put on his face? Was he licking me?! I opened my eyes to find his face and nose further than expected, though filled with laughter. My eyes crossed to the object pressing against my own nose - a grape! "Hee-hee-hee, wake up, Daddy!" he said, as he tried to force the grape into my mouth. "Ok, buddy, ok..." and we wrestled for a couple of minutes amid his squealing and giggles. Bring on the day!

No comments:
Post a Comment