5.09.2008

Healing

Nathan is SOOOooooo much better! He's been sleeping through the night this week, after some in-the-night pain episodes over last weekend. He's starting to sound more like Nathan - the nasal, higher-pitched voice that came after the surgery is fading into the familiar tones we know. He's fighting with Evan without hesitation or fear of hurting anything again. And, his appetite is much more than we remember before his oft-swollen tonsils were cleared out. Oh, yeah, and his breath doesn't smell so bad anymore! (If that alone was an indicator, I know some adults who should have tonsillectomies asap!) Now, as summer approaches, our next endeavor with Nathan is to get the boy a bicycle. I just have to convince him and his mom that training wheels are for girls and sissies. (That's what my dad's approach was when I was four!) I remember being upset that I couldn't have them like the other kids in the neighborhood, but once I learned how to ride, I was the envy of them all. I had a freedom they did not know! So, I plan to teach him by the old hold-onto-the-seat-until-he-pedals-faster-than-I-can-keep-up-and-then-let-go-and-watch-him-slam-into-a-parked-truck method. (Why did my dad teach me to ride my bike in our apartment parking lot, anyway?) Maybe I'll take him to a nice, big, empty lot instead! Oh, and maybe I'll get him a helmet! (They only helmet I had when I was a kid was for football and baseball batting!) We haven't selected a bike just yet, so stay tuned.

No comments: