OHHH-KAYYY, DAD! ("Alvin and the Chipmunks" reference) Evan has been ready to eat some real food for a little while now. His Dr. recommends starting between four and six months on solid food. He's been watching us intently at meal times, following our forks from plate to mouth, opening his mouth along with us, and grunting at us as if to say, "hey, where's mine?!" So, this week we are starting him on rice cereal (brown organic whole-grain, Dallas!).
Nathan is a great eater. He'll eat most anything you give him, and a few things you don't. He loves all fruits and vegetables, almonds, steak, beans, chicken, pork chops, fish, eggs, mini-wheats, cheerios, multi-grain breads... But recently, he has begun a peculiar habit of "chipmunking" - holding bites of food in his little cheek(s) for lengthy amounts of time. He'll take a bite of something and minutes later he's still got it holed up in the side of his mouth, like a wad of chewing tobacco or something. I'm not sure if he's getting some molars, or if he's worried he might need it later. Maybe he thinks he can get to "dessert" quicker by putting more in his mouth even if he's not hungry. I might have to research that phenomenon and the psychology behind it. In the meantime, I'm regularly squeezing his cheeks to make sure he's not chipmunking on us - that can't be good for his teeth and gums, either!
4.30.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I used to do the exact same thing according to my mom. She said I'd have food up in there for an hour or so, but that I'd eventually eat it.
Hopefully, he's not "stealing food" for his invisible friend behind the bookcase. That's what I did around 3 or 4 years old when I didn't want to eat something.
Post a Comment