5.12.2010

Nature Boy

Both of our boys like the outdoors. They both enjoy playing outside, exploring nature and digging in the dirt.  But Nathan is not a fan of bugs.  Or snakes.  He thinks lizards are cool, but he's not that big on trying to catch them.  Evan, on the other hand, is a "hands-on" kind of guy.  He catches lizards, love bugs, roly-polys, june bugs, flowers, snakes... Yes, snakes.  Just this Saturday, the boys were helping me lay down some fresh mulch on top of the flowerbeds when Nathan started yelling, "DADDY!  Come see, QUICK!  Evan's got a snake!!"  I walked over to where they were standing as Evan excitedly held up the skinny little 1-1/2 foot garden snake he'd captured.  "Look, Dad! I found a SNAKE!"  I congratulated him and reminded him not to pick up snakes unless he asks me first because some snakes are poisonous and can hurt us.  We then placed his new friend back under the tree to help keep the bugs away from the flowers.  Unfortunately, Evan's grip on the poor guy had been a little too firm.  I'm trying to instill in my son that he can appreciate nature through observation.  Otherwise, we're going to run out of flowers, lizards and friendly snakes before June!

No comments: