4.27.2010

Learning to give

We try to instill in our boys a sense of giving. Whether money, time, resources... we believe it is an important value to pass on.  As most of you are aware, brothers sometimes have a hard time sharing with each other, let alone out-right giving to one another.  So, when Nathan approached me with the five dollar bill he had received for his first front-tooth via the Tooth Fairy, I was a bit surprised at his whispered request: "Dad, can I give this five dollars to Evan so he can buy a car like mine?" (Nathan had purchased a small police car with some Christmas money he'd saved a number of weeks ago, while Evan had spent all of his money and could not afford to buy one.)  "It's your money, son," I whispered back, "if you want to give it to your brother, it's your choice."  He stood up tall, walked over to Evan and offered the bill, "Here, Evan.  I want you to have this so you can get a car or truck or bus or something like mine." Evan looked at Nathan, curiously. He looked at the five-dollar bill. "Thanks, Nathan!" he said, as he gave me a "how-'bout-THAT?!" look.  I called Nathan over and gave him a hug. "I'm proud of you, son!  Do you know what giving Evan that money means?"  "What, Dad?" "It means you LOVE your brother!"  As he pulled away, he exclaimed, "NO it doesn't! I just want him to have a car like mine!"

No comments: