6.24.2008

The Petting Pool, pt.1 (Sasquatch)

We've been to a couple of petting zoo attractions over the last month - one at the fair (mostly goats), and one at the Zoo of Acadiana (what's with all the goats?). On our Florida vacation, we did not visit any petting zoo, in the traditional sense, but that did not stop Evan from petting...

We were fine, minding our own business at the neighborhood pool, enjoying vacation time with the boys, their Aunt Leesa and their grandma. This particular pool has a nice, large step area and our boys were playing on them with Laura and I. Another family arrived and the dad was trying to encourage his young son not to fear the water. He was showing him that he could play along the steps like Nathan and Evan, without being afraid of going under. As they moved toward us, I noticed Evan inching his way closer to the man's back. Now, understand this man was quite hairy, unlike Evan's dad (or mom). Before I could get to him, Evan reached out in amazement and rubbed his hand across the man's back. The man turned to Evan, who just smiled real big, looked at his shoulder, and gave another few pets. I called out, "Evan, what are you doing to that man?" He looked at me as if to say, "Dad, can you believe the hair on this guy?!" - AS HE STROKED THE MANS SHOULDER AGAIN! The man was very gracious, laughed, and said "He's ok. He's probably never seen anything with this much hair outside of the zoo before!" I simply smiled and laughed (how could I disagree?) and was thankful Evan didn't PULL!

No comments: