2.25.2008

A Few Of Their Favorite Things

The boys received quite a load of fun toys this past Christmas. It was so cool watching their expressions of shock and awe each time they opened one of their gifts. I remember Nathan looking at me when he opened his own digital camera (V-tech Kidizoom) as if to make sure it was really his. They were so overwhelmed with all the presents from everyone that they just got tired of getting them. I think the "Twelve Days of Christmas" idea is probably better for young children. That way, they can have an entire day to enjoy one thing at a time, before having the next gift thrust their way. Once Nathan opened the radio-controlled eighteen-wheeler his Uncle Brad got him, it really didn't matter that there were still gifts with his name on them left unopened. I enjoyed that. You know, the innocence of being thrilled with one gift as opposed to saying, "Cool. What else did I get?"

Nathan got a total of two radio controlled vehicles - the semi with trailer and a really fast Dodge Challenger. Both of them have been severely banged up and the big rig is missing mirrors, bumpers, blinkers and a windshield. The slot-car track is currently in a box until the next rainy day, although it's amazing how mezmerizing two little plastic cars going around a ten foot track can be to little boys (and their Dad)!

I think Nathan has logged the most time investment in his camera - he's taken close to 400 pictures of everything from exit lights and ceiling fans to mommy driving, church friends, and the scenic outdoors. I'm so glad all those pics are digital, so there's no need to have all those printed to see if they're good or not!

Evan got a 3ft. Elmo, several Duplo block sets (which are daily used to construct jets, spaceships, cars, swords, guns, etc.), Lincoln Logs, an inch-worm ride-on toy, and a little red trike. I let the boys ride their trikes inside one rainy day after Christmas, and since then they've made an indoor track out of our home's walkways. Evan was so thrilled to get his trike that he couldn't even unwrap it all the way - he literally drove it out of the wrapping paper!

He's still burning rubber on that thing, and loves to chase Nathan! Of course, the boys take time regularly to perform routine maintenance on their "rides"...

No comments: