8.25.2005

Globes!

Nathan rode with daddy to the Chevrolet dealer today to get a new engine oil dipstick (they don't make 'em like they used to!). It has a bright yellow plastic ring on the end (that cracks after a few years of engine heat. ok! venting complete). When the man gave me the new stick, I waved it at Nathan, who quickly identified the item in his terms - "bubbles!" (looks like a bubble wand)

Nathan developed an attachment to globes at some friends' home recently. He was captivated by the spinning sphere, and since then he identifies globes everywhere. Laura was reviewing the latest Pottery Barn catalog with him and he begin excitedly pointing out the globes saying, "look at all the globes!" He has since torn that magazine to shreds flipping the pages to find all of them. The other day, he spotted some at Wal-Mart. After some exessive spinning, we moved on. They were not the 2-year old models! Later in the day at home, Nathan asked me to go for a ride to see the globes. I took him for a ride in his wagon to the computer, where we reviewed pictures of a variety of globes. The next day, Nathan grabbed my hand and said, "Daddy! Go find the globes on a computer!" Hmmm... world traveler?

As most of you know, Nathan has a couple of small animals - Colorado the moose, and Billy the goat. He spreads his time with them rather evenly. He is equally affectionate and abusive. He hugs them, tells them he loves them, wrestles with them, and throws them around - sometimes telling them "I'm sorry" if he feels they were somehow wounded. He threw Billy behind the bed the other night and wanted me to get him. I told him I was not crawling under the bed at that time, and that Billy would be sleeping there tonight. Nathan peered over the headboard and said, "Poor Billy... Poor Billy... Night-night, Billy Goat!" We have finally curtailed most of his "let-me-see-what-I-can-throw-into-the-ceiling-fan" syndrome (with a little help from some paint sticks applied to the back of his thighs). He did have a lapse the other morning, when he launched Colorado toward a stopped fan, and the poor moose got stuck on top of the fan blade - with his head peeking down over the edge! Needless to say, it took much self control to discipline Nathan with Colorado's mocking little grin overhead! (it was pretty funny!)

On Tuesday, Laura had to go to New Orleans for a meeting Wed. morning with work. Nathan and I were out in the cool of the evening (yeah, right) washing the Blazer. Some of the girls from the neighborhood came over to see if he wanted to play next door on the swingset and slide. (The lack of boys his age in our neighborhood prompted us to have another one so he could have a friend! =) At the time, he was intently washing the rear bumper with a wash rag full of soap. He looked at me as if asking, "can I? should I?" I assured him he could go slide if he wanted to, and even encouraged him to. He looked at them and said, "help Daddy wash the truck," and plunged his rag into the bucket again. That's fine, son. There will be plenty of time to chase girls later. For now, helping dad wash the truck takes priority over playing with cute girls next door. They'll be back! (Our son is a chick magnet at 21 months!)

Ok, I'd probably get some grief over this story if I tell it at his 15th birthday, but it's pretty funny! Tuesday night (after the car wash and a big dinner) I prepared a bath for Nathan. Laura usually strips him while the water is running, but he almost always pees in the tub while it's running (and sometimes before he makes it in the tub!). I decided to keep his diaper on while the water is running, so maybe he'll pee in it before it comes off. (I know, I know... brilliant!) After the water was off, I removed the diaper, placed him in the tub, and he sat down and splashed around for a few minutes. I was so proud of me. (Pride comes before a whiz!) Shortly, Nathan stood up to play with the faucet cover (a big plastic frog), and peed for what seemed like an eternity into the tub. Ok, so my genius status is now in question. I went to the cabinet to get a towel for when he got out and when I turned around, he was playing with some new "balls" I did not remember giving to him. That's right - he had POOPED! At least they were all nice little round balls, but I had to battle him to get to them before he did! We were both laughing so hard as he splashed about while I tried to grab them all before he picked one up or stepped on it! Man, those little things were slippery! I got them all into the toilet and flushed, as Nathan observed, saying, "bye-bye, poops!" (Yes, I drained the water and washed him with an uncontamated sponge!)

The moon cycle is such that in the early morning it is almost directly overhead. Nathan was up with me yesterday, and wanted to see the moon. I took him outside and he looked around, but could not find it. I pointed straight up, and when he saw it he exclaimed, "Daddy! The moon is on the ceiling!"

Nathan has become pretty good at identifying local landmarks. When we drive near the mall, he says "go see mommy's work?" When we drive near my grandmother's house, he says, "go see grandma's house." Wednesday, we went to Home Depot and as we pulled into the parking lot he said, "Home Depot! Double-key lock!" (I recently had him with me while trying to find a double-keyed deadbolt for our door, and he must have heard me say it a few times to various associates along our search)

Last night, Laura was sharing a snack with Nathan in the kitchen, when he saw a spot of some sort on the floor. He said, "floor's dirty!" and grabbed a dish towel off the table. He bent down and proceeded to wipe up the spot to no avail. He stood up with his serious face on, and spit on the towel. He then wiped the spot again with some success. ("spit-mopping" is not our usual form of cleaning!)

We leave for Florida on Saturday (8.27). We'll be driving to New Orleans and flying to Orlando. Nathan loves to watch planes overhead, so I'm hoping he does well on the flight! Raisins should help the ear-pops. We're hoping that tropical storm Katrina doesn't dampen our plans. We'll be staying with Laura's parents and a friend of ours from Birmingham is flying to meet us with her two young boys (4yr old and 23mo old). We plan to visit the Magic Kingdom and Sea World while there. We may visit Daytona Beach, but don't worry about sharks! I read online that if you rub your body down with pickle juice the sharks won't come near you! (Is that Kosher?) I'm only kidding! If we do get in any ocean water, I'm bringing a pocket knife and a stun gun (in water?) just in case (Don't mess with me, Sharky!).

Praying for sharkless sunshine in the "Sunshine State"....

No comments: