3.24.2010

Brutally Honest

We have a tradition of tucking the boys in their bunks and praying with them each night.  Frequently, when I pray with Evan, I kneel next to him (he's on the bottom bunk) and put my face next to his while he snuggles with me as we pray.  Usually, this takes place before Laura and I are ready for bed, as was the case this evening.  I had tucked Nathan in and prayed with him first, then knelt next to Evan.  As I began to pray for him, he turned his head away from me and said, "Oooo, Daddy! Your breath is STINKY!  You need to brush your teeth and then come back and pray with me!"  Now, we had taco salad for dinner and I did sneak a couple oreos afterward, but I was feeling pretty bad that Evan was giving me such a hard time.  I turned my face away from his to finish praying for him without making him sick, when he made another declaration: "Aww, Man!  Daddy, your hair stinks, too!"  This time, I sat up and responded, "Hey, pal! I'm not ready for bed yet, so give me a break!  Besides, there's no reason my hair should stink as bad as you say it does."  "But Dad," he replied, "your hair smells like crackers... or somebody's smelly feet!" MAN!  All I can say is that if anyone at our house knows about getting dirty, it's Evan, so I'm off to take care of some serious personal hygiene issues...

No comments: