Nathan was somewhat apprehensive about slides on his first several visits to parks. He would go right up to the edge and get nervous - "no want it!" I squeezed through the openings myself a few times to encourage him. It's an even tighter squeeze when he's in my lap. I had to lay all the way back just to pass under the top of the slide. If I ever build a playground, it'll have adult-accessible slides, etc. They ought to build those things for family participation! Ok, I'll save my rant for "portal" (see link at right).
So we went to another park recently - this one has older equipment and it's not that pretty. BUT, it has the old-style slides - the ones with the stainless steel surface that doesn't build up enough static electricity to light up a small city like the "new and improved" plastic types. (That's not a rant, it's the truth!) I figured we'd be resigned to the swing and the little bouncy frog thing, when Nathan followed some little girl up two flights of stairs to some 20' slides! I was close behind, but very proud that he didn't require my assistance. Amazing - the motivation one little girl can have on one little boy! He got to the edge of the slide and looked back at me. I told him we could go down if he wanted to. He smiled and said, "you want to?" I sat down behind him, placed him right in front of me, and he started down ahead of me. I followed close behind, but he never flinched. He was actually pushing himself so he could "beat" me down the slide before I caught him. Since then, he's an old pro. I remember balking at much smaller slides at an older age. In fact, one of my old nemesis slides still stands at a local park, taunting me every time I'm there. Keep taunting, you old evil monster! My seed shall prevail over you shortly! Your days of tormenting my inner child are numbered!! Ha ha ha ha haaaa! (insert old 70's Batman TV series theme music here... "da-na-na-na-na-na-na-na - Batman!...") Prepare yourself - Nathan's coming! I think I just might take that slide on myself - on my belly! (if I can fit through the entrance)
11.17.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment