"John" is getting big. Just ask Laura. Now, I'm not saying she's getting big, but she is getting more uncomfortable as of late. The boy's got limbs in uncomfortable places, and momma's not happy. Ya'll pray for him to get into a more comfortable position soon, or we're all gonna be uncomfortable! We've been encouraging Nathan to touch mommy's belly and feel "John" move, but he gets a little nervous and won't keep his hand still for long. We think he's going to be a great big brother! He's just going to have to stop throwing things at people. He hit me on the knee with a flashlight the other night, and as I writhed in pain on the floor, he came over to me and laughed hysterically. I think he thought I was break-dancing or something, until he got a spanking for throwing the light.
Nathan's latest little 'trip' is calling the average man, "mailman". Just before our trip to Florida, I had several packages arrive in as many days, and every time UPS or Fedex would come, I just told him it was the "mailman", to keep it simple. Since then, anyone in a uniform (or what he perceives as a uniform), all delivery people, and most of the unknown male population is a "mailman". Nathan and I took Laura to dinner on her birthday, and some friends showed up at a table close by. They came over to greet us, and Nathan looked at Steve and said, "Hi, mailman!" (Steve had on khakis and a white polo). While visiting Laura's parents a few weeks back, Nathan was looking at the painting over the bed. It was a Thomas Kincade print of an old American town. Nathan noticed the paper boy on his bike with a bag of papers and a cap, throwing a paper. He pointed to the boy and said, "See that mailman?" I said, "yep!"
The other night, Laura and Nathan were browsing a Pottery Barn catalog. He likes to look at magazines and point out things he knows. I'm sure he was hunting globes. They turned a page, and there was a large picture of a Buddha statue. Nathan paused, then matter-of-factly stated, "that's a mailman - poopin'!" I was drawn to the scene by Laura's hysterical laughter, and he showed me the "mailman poopin'," too. I don't know if it was the fact that the figure was seated, or that his eyes were squinted, or that he seemed to be grimacing/smiling, or all of the above, but I think it was a pretty logical conclusion as to what that mailman was probably doing. (although I don't think it's necessary to take your shirt off, mr. mailman!)
9.18.2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment