8.09.2008

Writer's Block

I don't know how else to describe the busy-ness of the last few weeks - preparing for and running an evening Vacation Bible School at our church with boys in tow(and fighting); shopping for the impossible school supplies list for Nathan's new school (K-4); attempting to keep our house in some order while the boys seem to stay one room ahead of us with their mess-making (and fighting). It's not that I haven't had things to blog about, my attempts have simply been blocked by the very subject matter that is our lives. So, I hope to catch up a little this week, but here's one of the latest discussions with Nathan...

"Daddy! I just farted!"
"Nathan, where did you learn that word?"
"I don't know... ____ says that when he toots."
"Well, I don't like you saying that. It doesn't sound very nice coming out of your mouth."
"What do I say when I toot?"
"You don't really need to say anything - usually the people around you are already aware of what you did."
"But, what if I need to tell Evan or somebody?"
"Tell them you tooted. You don't 'fart'."
"Do you fart?"
"Yes, but I'm a man. When you're a man, you'll fart. Little boys and girls don't "fart", they "toot"."
"What about mommy, does she fart?"
"Nope. Mommy is a lady. Ladies toot."
(Pause...)
"Daddy, can I foot (pronounced 'fute')?"
(Laughter at his persistence, imagination and creativity...)
"Sure, Nathan, you can 'foot'. Just don't do it too close to me!"

Look out, Westminster (Nathan's new school), here he comes!

No comments: