Nathan is a very verbal child. When he makes a mistake, a mess, or breaks something, he routinely says, "It's o.k..." followed by something like, "Daddy'll fix it", or "Mommy will clean it up", and "that was an accident!" Now, the truth is, sometimes Daddy does fix it, Mommy does clean it up, and it may have actually been an accident. But he uses this phrase often times in the hope that Daddy can fix it, or Mommy can clean it up, or that we'll believe it was truly an accident.
I've tried to explain that some things are not accidents (like when he tried to pour milk from his glass into a bottle and it got all over the table and floor). Sometimes Mommy cannot clean it up (like when he used a black sharpie to doodle on the sofas - yes both of them!) And Daddy cannot fix everything (like when Nathan's Jeff Gordon Hot Wheels car got run over by my truck - oops!)
He's still convinced though, and I'll even try to fix things I would have just thrown away before (like the candleholder I crazy-glued back together). All because he has this radical faith and hope in us. (I sense a portal blog brewing here...)
Oh, yeah! His Grandad and Grandma Soldner came to visit last month and they showed up with a new Jeff Gordon Hot Wheels car! THAT was O.K.!

Nathan with Grandad Soldner "playing cars"

No comments:
Post a Comment